A Little Bit of History
Charles James Montgomery, the grandfather of the present owners, came from Ireland to Australia in 1889 and settled in Albany in 1923 when he bought the property from John McKail. The land title was one of the earliest titles surveyed in the area, and was granted to George Cheyne in 1831. The title has now passed to the third generation of Montgomery. Murray and Pam Montgomery, and Iain and Joan Montgomery were the foundation partners in the wine producing enterprise.
CJ Montgomery cleared the land where the vineyard is now situated. It was originally planted with potatoes and then became an apple orchard and later a pasture for cattle when CJs son, Maxwell, took over the property. Maxwell built and lived in the apple shed in 1932 until he built the cottage in 1934. When he married in 1937 he built the main house, where Murray and Pam now live. The planting of the vines commenced in 1996 with Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. In 1997 Shiraz, Sauvignon Blanc and Merlot were also planted.